The Garden House At Medland Manor
The Garden House is a fine example of a contemporary house built in the spirit of the designs of the architect of Mies van der Rohe. The house was built to take full advantage of its historic surroundings and the walled garden. The Garden House is situated within the Medland Manor estate.
Medland Manor, situated in the Parish of Cheriton Bishop, can be traced back to the Saxon Charters of 739 and 967AD. An earlier Georgian Manor House was destroyed by fire in the late 19th century and has been replaced by a fine Edwardian Manor House with outbuildings and cottages.
The Garden House was designed in collaboration with the Grand Design team in 2006 to best incorporate the modern lines of house with the amazing historic grounds of the Medland Manor.
To take it a step further, a swimming pool was added in 2013 with a vast outdoor deck to truly create an outdoor entertainment area with a sonos sound system.
The walled garden dating back to the late 1600's is populated with apple trees, flowers, fruit cages and plum trees. Within the walled garden there are two lean-to glasshouses to the north side.
Entrance is through a courtyard which includes 1930's staff cottage, garage, and stores.
Link to Grand design program: http://www.channel4.com/programmes/grand-designs/4od#2921796